Monday, January 09, 2006

Monday's Miscellany

Would a Jaws reference be in bad taste?
With reference to the weekend's shark attack, Boycat's Mum points out that Amity was also the name of the town in Jaws. This hasn't been mentioned in any news reports, but it was the first thing that came to mind for us. Are we just sick freaks who watch too much TV?


Cheap Chinese DVDs... this is why you don't buy them.
(Y'know, along with all the driving down wages over here and stuff...)

Our TV/DVD player stopped working last week. The TV bit works, except that where we live you need an outdoor antenna or a precious cable-TV cable to get a useful picture. The DVD bit won't even power up, so there's a disc stuck in it. Luckily it isn't a rental.

And my Panasonic X-700 phone (with the camera) also stopped working over the weekend. WTF is going on?

This is the sort of thing I'd do
Miffed Canadian pays bank bill a penny at a time.

Why do politicians just say "families" when they are actually talking about "families with children"?
It really pisses me off to discover that, although we are in a supposedly sacred heterosexual marriage, Boycat's Mum and I apparently aren't a family. Wayne Swan, I'm looking at you. (For today. Other pollies do it all the time, too. After all, look at the criteria for Centrelink's "Family" Assistance...)

Tolls on the Pacific Highway
I'm not sure what I think about this, but I know I'm against it if there is no way to drive from Sydney to Brisbane without paying a toll.

Medium, median; who cares?
I do.

As much as I love the Qld Police's media update page, I really wish they'd learn what a median strip is called.

Can a cigarette butt cause a bushfire?
According to an article I read a couple of years ago in a firey's publication, the answer is no, no matter how strong the wind.

[END]

No comments: